Black Beans are a family favorite when it comes to side dishes. Easy to cook and great to use in Mexican Plates of Food favorites.
Credit: Rimmer’s Red Barn
- 2 Cups Dried Black Beans
- 1 Ham Hock
- 1 Medium Diced White Onion
- 2 Garlic Gloves
- 2 Tsp. Pepper
- 1 Tsp Salt & Pepper Flakes
- 1 Jalapeno Diced
- Rinse off dried black beans and separate the broken pieces and clean. Add to a large pot and cover with water at least 1” above the beans.
- Add ham hock, onion, salt, pepper, garlic, diced jalapeno pepper. Cover with lid and bring to boil for 1 ½ hrs. Turn down to medium low and cooked for 4 hours until meat comes off ham hock bone.
- Chill and mashed beans down with food smasher. Serve and enjoy.