This Old Fashion Simple Soup reminds me of coming home.
Credit: Rimmer’s Red Barn
- 2 Cup of Dried Split Peas
- 1 Medium White Onion
- 1 Cup of Diced Carrots
- 1 Smoke Ham Hock
- 1 Cup of Diced Ham
- ½ of Diced Celery
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- 1 tsp. Salt
- Rinse off the dried peas and place them in a large soup pot. Add water to about 2” above the peas.
- Add the diced onions, ham, celery, carrots, pepper, salt and ham hock to the pot. Stir and cover with lid.
- Place on the stove on medium heat and cook for about 1/2hour and then stir. Check the water level and make sure to add if the soup needs water. Cook for another ½ hour and repeat.
- Cook the last ½ hour until the carrots and peas are completely cooked. Remove from heat and serve.